05 February 2009

Portraits from Photos II

Here is another portrait from the "Portraits from Photos" class I mentioned in the last post. This is a portrait of my 15-year-old daughter. In designing the composition, I wanted to convey her guarded personality, so I posed her looking away with arms cross in front. I thought the pose added stability to the image, produced some nice negative space, and kept the viewer's eyes in the picture plane. Instead of powdered charcoal, I used powdered graphite, which seemed to work just as well. This portrait took about 20 hours to complete.

I plan to do a portrait of her once a year. Hopefully she'll enjoy having the set in later years, and it will be a satisfying way for me to chronicle my progress as an artist.

Amanda 2008, graphite on bristol board, 11 x 10

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely composed and designed. You caught that guarded look. Very accurate drawing which, to me, is the essence of being an artist. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mary. I'm hoping to infuse a little chaos into my drawing in future, but for now accuracy is the goal. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Piece, very moving as I can almost feel her presence in breathe and life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do beautiful work! Charcoal can be so difficult, but you have done a remarkable job. I like her casual pose and your handling of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting, Alice. Sincerely appreciate the compliment, coming from someone so accomplished in the medium.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Candace,
    you do really beautiful work. I truly engoied your drawings and studies. This portrait of your doughter is increadible!! So many beautiful and positive things about it. A stunning piece. The Atelier will be a defining event of your life, please keep publishing your work is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mariano, Thank you for your kind words. I feel very fortunate to have access to atelier training. I really enjoyed creating this image because there is so much positive emotion associated. However, true to her nature, my daughter was horrified that I posted it. Go figure. Best regards.

    ReplyDelete