14 May 2009

Long-Pose Head Drawing


Today's post is a long-pose head drawing from life. The pose was 9 hours long (3 hours x 3 days), which provided plenty of time to carefully study proportions and features. It's a relaxing way to draw from life. The class is taught by Stan Prokopenko, who also taught another long head drawing class I took about 6 months ago. I think this drawing shows improvement compared to drawings I did for that class (see Portraits from Photos I, II, and III). It feels more natural and energetic to me, too, compared to those drawings from photos.

My main purpose here was to practice value and edge control to improve facial rendering, so I didn't bother finishing other areas. Since mastering art is something of a numbers game, I figured better to move on to the next drawing.

Zara, 2009, 13 x 10, graphite on bristol board

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful as always, cant wait for more post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is stunning! beautiful line quality and very finely worked shading. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply gorgeous. She has this attitude, looks like a queen from a lost-ancient-egyptian-like-kingdom...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working on them, James. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deborah, Your comments are appreciated, as you understand the challenges of the portrait from your own work. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolina, Funny you should say that. My husband thought she looked like a medieval woman. It goes to show that art does not happen on the canvas (paper)...it happens in the eye of the viewer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and elegant, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Candace, Have just stumbled upon your blog and what a lovely accident it was - your work is exquisite! Many congratulations and wishing you much success and even greater joy as you progress through your studies and your life as an artist. Aliaena

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elizabeth, Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate the positive comment. IMO a successful portrait is one that portrays the dignity and beauty in the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aliaena, Glad you found my blog. I stopped by yours today and really enjoyed the positive content. I'm going to try the warm-up drawing exercise you describe. Most of us don't give our subconscious enough credit for the works of art we produce.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your visit to my blog Candace. Let me know if you end up doing the scribble exercise - it's a blast - expecially with a model. I'd love to hear how it works out for you. All the best, Aliaena

    ReplyDelete
  13. a b s o l u t e l y stunning!

    beautiful work!
    peace~
    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anca and Chuck, Thank you for your positive comments. Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me gustó mucho este dibujo: Es muy bella la combinación de línea y valor junto al rostro de esta mujer.
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gracias, Marila. El placer y el desafío de dibujo es el balance de línea y forma. Zara es un gran modelo para trabajar, también. Muy inspirador. Gracias por su visita. Saludos cordiales.

    ReplyDelete