07 June 2009

Long-Pose Head Drawing II


Today's post is another long-pose head drawing in graphite, drawn from life. I used the same methods as described earlier, except that for this portrait I toned the paper with charcoal powder in all areas I wanted to darken. Charcoal powder is messy, but I think the graininess enhanced this image of the battle-weary warrior. My 3 goals here were to draw a decent portrait from life, experiment with lost edges to add interest, and render the metal helmet convincingly. The advice I received for rendering the helmet was to use straight, hard edges and shapes around the highlights to push texture and brilliance; avoid curvy and organic.

This model is actually a nice guy named Adam who doesn't seem like the warrior type, but is a master leather craftsman, armor enthusiast, and owner of Loveduck Leather which specializes in "historically influenced leather and archery goods". Good model, too. You may recognize him from an earlier charcoal head drawing I posted.

I think I'm coming to the end of my graphite work, maybe posting one more portrait from this class. I plan to focus future effort on charcoal drawings and on oil painting. I've decided to start my oil painting life with Richard Schmid's palette. I've been reading Alla Prima lately, along with David Leffel's book Oil Painting Secrets from a Master. I recommend both highly. I'm finding as a beginning painter that my lack of color knowledge is slowing me down, so I plan to do Richard Schmid's color chart exercises during the upcoming break.

Adam 2009, 12 x 10, graphite and charcoal on bristol board

11 comments:

  1. I'm just blown away that you do these fantastic drawings from life. Really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curator, Thanks for the positive comment. Really enjoy your blog, a pleasure to view. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gwen. Too kind. It's almost easier to draw from life. I think the energy of the sitter comes through and really improves the outcome, and you get to draw with a group, instead of alone in the your studio (sometimes a nice change of pace). Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. muy buena obra , un gerrero wagneriano

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candace, your graphite work has been a real inspiration.
    Can't wait to see your efforts in oils.
    Certainly appreciate your postings of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome as always, God bless keep up the great work. the hard edges on helmet really make it feel like metal,again awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Juan Carlos, Me gusta esa impresión. Muy fuerte. Gracias por visitarnos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim, Thanks for stopping by. After a year and a half of drawing, I am ready to go on the oils. Might be a while before I have anything presentable though. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, James. Welcome words.

    ReplyDelete