04 March 2010

Long Pose Portrait in Graphite

Today's post is a graphite portrait drawn from life during a 10-hour pose...the so-called "long pose". The benefits of a long-pose drawing are many. It's where all the skills developed during shorter sessions are consolidated and polished. My focus here was to experiment with edges, values, and shapes to understand which elements were critical to the likeness. The pose was broken into 5 2-hour sittings. Before each session I assessed the weaknesses in the image and came up with a plan for the next session. ( I also made adjustments from a photo reference outside of class. Photos can be misleading, though, since the lens usually distorts shapes and values.)

Unfortunately I got the seat in class where the model looks straight on...not the best angle. To add interest, I pushed the tilt of his head to his right, and his gaze left. The ultimate goal is to apply this knowledge to (portrait) painting, which is my main focus going forward.

Van 2010, 14 x 11, graphite on bristol board

14 comments:

  1. Lovely work Candace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done, Candace, you should be well pleased. My best as always. Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Candace
    What a drawer you are! Your drawing skills are formidable! You see everything so powerfully – another exceedingly fine portrait.
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is amazing! I can't believe you did it from life. That must have taken a lot of patience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. an excellent drawing and it was interesting to read how you added interest to the face on pose. thanks for that. r.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Besides abstract, my favorite thing is portrait. You did a bang-up job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome values, very expressive. This portrait makes me want to draw someone from life...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hate to sound redundant, but these life drawings just amaze me. This is sooooo good! I shouldn't even call it "drawing". This is illustration as it's best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Candice this is such a beautiful portrait drawing, you have achieved such wonderful fall of light, the rendering is superb! This is truly a beautiful portrait, Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. fantastic portrait...
    i envy your skill...
    this pictures inspires me to look again and again...
    went through the entire blog...
    congratulations...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely portrait , neat job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you did a really great job Candace. It is an outstanding drawing.
    Read your comment on peters blog, Wild Australian Art, and saw where it generated some comments on copyright. I won't rewrite what I did on your blog but if you have a chance to go back to his Please do so as I would be interested in seeing what others have to say about his and my comments on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  13. amazing work and a lot of talent!
    Congratulations
    Iñaki Massini Pontis

    ReplyDelete