15 December 2010

Wrapping up 2010

The term at Watts is over in a few days, and so is 2010.  I am so ready for a break.  I'm hunkered down, trying to get the brush mileage in, as they say...ultimately, the only way to learn how to paint in oils is through experience.  This requires lots of starts and oil sketches, which is what I'm posting today.  These paintings from life (12 x 9 on linen), completed in Meadow Gist's portrait painting class, took about 2 hours each.  Each painting taught me something new about color, technique, materials, my own motivations...I strive for a painterly look, the big planes and broad strokes à la Sargent and Sorolla, but that is so much easier to read about than to achieve.  I have a long journey ahead.  There is so much to know and so many possibilities on the way forward.




My hopes for 2011 are that I evolve as a painter (ie. I master putting paint on the canvas where I want it to go), I launch a website, and my art becomes financially self-supporting.  It is time.

Sincere thanks to everyone who connected with me this year.  What a complete pleasure and inspiration to hear your candid words about your work and mine. Passion for art makes quick friends...I am grateful for our exchanges.

I'm  spending the holidays in Greece with friends and family. Won't be back here 'til the first week of January.  I hope you enjoy the quiet deep dark days of Winter, with those you love close by.  Put on a warm sweater, light a fire, pour a glass of blood-red wine...give thanks for your art.

Best in 2011.

12 comments:

  1. candace. i too struggle, as we all do, it seems, with the paint. i follow your work and would like you to see my wranglings with the brush. i wish it weren't so hard, but as my mother used to tell me, if if was easy, everyone would do it. thanks for your efforts and sharing. susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice thoughts, Candace! We all strive to become better artists with time! It was a pleasure to get to knowing you through your art and blog! Wish you a very happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing year it's been and how well you've expressed that, Candace.

    Here we are, resting at a way-station along our journeys, travellers well met. What a gift Blogger has been for us all. So much talent, so many aspirations, so may lives converging ... here.

    And of all those convergences, i value this one with you amongst the most enriching, Candice. From the moment i first saw your chalk drawing i knew i was in the presence of an extraordinarily gifted artist. Such a disciplined eye, such dedication to her labors, such insight and erudition about her artistic practice. I felt quite out of my league, but sheer admiration and gall induced me to write, lol.

    These paintings from life are extraordinary. So fresh, so confident, sitting ‘just right’. And even a visit from Santa!

    Have a wonderful time in Greece. Being in Australia, i will not be able to enjoy the deep dark days of winter and instead will have to make do with Aussie sunshine and golden beaches . But i join everyone, where ever in our bloggy world, in raising a glass red.

    A toast to friendship, art and 2011. Catch you then. Have a laugher-filled Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible work...as usual! You continue to amaze! Love that Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas - your blog and your insights are always an inspiration to me,

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful work...you are a wonderful painter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no doubt that your dreams as listed will be fulfilled in very short time Candace. Your art is such.
    God bless you and I look forward to seeing what you do in the coming New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say I enjoy you and your artwork so very much. So keep up the good work and let's please continue this "Artship".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet Candace, guess what, you are a good writer as well: ~ "I hope you enjoy the quiet deep dark days of Winter, with those you love close by. Put on a warm sweater, light a fire, pour a glass of blood-red wine...give thanks for your art."
    I look forward to a new year, and to learning more of what you've been up to. BTW - Spending the holidays in Greece, ahhhh, not too shabby. And oh the light, bottle it for me while you are there!

    ReplyDelete