27 January 2014

Embrace...

Here is a recent portrait of my daughter, Amanda.  A difficult painting because there was so little value change across her face...which tends to flatten the form.  Amanda was in shade, except for a few spots of sunlight on her head and arms.  Her face and forearms were lit by reflected light...subtle and challenging to convey.  I learned a huge amount from this piece.

Embrace, 2013, 18x24", Oil on linen

Here it is framed.  I include this to show how the right frame enhances a painting.  Some artists always paint on a pre-framed canvas.  Not a bad idea, if you know in advance which frame would suit the outcome.


"Embrace" was a finalist in the 2013 Western Regional Oil Painters of America exhibition this past fall here in the States.  That part was nice.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful painting...and you are right, the frame makes it even more beautiful. Congratulations on the recognition...well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Celeste. Hope all is well in Portland. Thanks for your supportive comments. As an aside, I have thought lots about your comment to me a while back on the roll of photography in the making of painted portraits (as in...some portraits look like painted photos). So helpful, because it has made me resolve to make the strongest artistic statement I can with each new portrait. I realize I have a ways to go, but your influence has been so positive. Extreme thanks.

      Delete
  2. A stunning painting. I love the expression you captured and her relaxed look. Your daughter is beautiful and the frame you picked is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, Thanks so much for your visit and comments. I treasure this painting...it hangs on the wall in my studio. I actually painted this for myself, and that may be coming through.

      Delete