17 January 2015

Portrait in Progress

I'm working on a triptych portrait of my daughter Amanda.  The drawings below are value studies for the final painting, which will be composed of 3 11x14" panels.   This piece is part of a series for a show later this year focusing on contemporary portraiture.  I've been thinking a lot lately about the nature of contemporary portraiture, and what differentiates it from traditional fine art portraiture and from photographic portraits. 

Three Amandas 8x18", willow charcoal on Strathmore 500 toned paper


By comparison, here is my first drawing of Amanda done in 2008.  She was 15 and full of teen angst. Can you tell?  I remember thinking this drawing looked pretty good at the time. 

Amanda 2008, Vine charcoal on bristol board

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it interesting to compare older work to more recent work? Well, certainly the advances you've made are very apparent. I really like both, though. Your new work is rich...and your old work has something about it..it has the cool factor. I guess I like that nearly stylized look. Let's just say I'm a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your nice comment, Celeste :o). That earlier drawing was simpler, but had all the emotion behind it that this current one does. That age was a challenging one for my daughter, and I value having these old drawings to remind me of that.

    ReplyDelete