13 March 2015

Panel 2 of the Amanda Triptych

Here is the second panel of the triptych portrait of my daughter, Amanda.  First panel was posted last week.  I'm trying not to screw things up by getting too tight here. So sad to have a beautiful expressive passage ruined by that last unnecessary brushstroke.  It's about knowing when to leave well-enough alone, which I am gradually learning to do.

Amanda Triptych (panel 2) 11x14", oil on board

Here is a progression.  I struggled to get a good likeness, as you can see by comparing the first and third panels.  The challenge of portrait art...it needs to look like a particular person. This painting still needs work, but I need to move on to other things.  I'm finishing up the third panel which I will post soon.


********************************

And on a related topic, I love this video about Slomo, a San Diego resident who gave up conventional success to follow his passion.  Something most artists can relate to.  I found the video over on Bryce Liston's blog.  Worth a few minutes of your time.  It's uplifting with some serious good advice.


4 comments:

  1. Loved seeing your progress on this and it turned out just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, Thanks for your nice comment. Very happy this image resonates with you.

      Delete
  2. I love what you're achieving with your portraiture recently Candice! And thanks for the link to a very interesting video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Peter. Thanks for your nice words. I appreciate your visit. Hope all is well with you and your art down-under. Best.

      Delete