03 June 2015

New Portrait Painting: Baby Valor

This is a baby shower gift.  The subject is Valor, a 3-month-old boy.  I'm happy to finish this one and move on.  I found it difficult to paint this little guy due to his lack of personality and character.   Before starting, I took a quick look around for other examples of infant portraits.  There are very few out there.  Makes me think I'm not the first to feel this way. 

Portrait of Valor, 8x8", oil on board

One problem with this painting is that light triangular shape formed by the blanket just behind his far cheek.  It seems to pop out too much.  If I cover that area, I think the image looks better.  Maybe after it settles for a while I will get back in there and change that.  For now, I need to move on to other things.


3 comments:

  1. But you did a lovely, lovely job. It's beautiful and I'm sure the recipients will cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Karen. This painting just got too fiddle-y. Once it gets to that point, the charm starts to go. He is a sweet baby, which help the final result.

      Delete
  2. Hi Candace,
    I couldn't agree with you more about painting portraits of babies. I did one not too long ago, for one of the security guards in our building. His daughter was about a year old and cute as a button, but it still was a challenge.
    It looked enough like the reference photo to please him tremendously, but I've never posted it. Just wasn't something I want to show the world.
    Maybe we need subjects we can "sink our teeth" into to do our best work.
    Enjoy your Friday!
    Sincerely,
    Gary.

    ReplyDelete