10 October 2015

First Plein Air Paintings

Figurative is my primary genre, but I need to mix things up a little right now, so I'm branching out into landscape.  Below are some recent plein air sketches.  Rudimentary, I know, but every journey begins with the first step.  Things will look better 30 or 40 sketches from now.

As a starting point, I'm using 2 books for guidance:  Mitchell Albala's Landscape Painting and Fill Your Oil Paintings with Light and Color by Kevin MacPherson.  Both good and distinct in what they offer.  MacPherson recommends getting 100 starts under your belt as a beginning strategy.  Don't worry about the finish.  The start is where most of the mistakes are made.  Learn how to make a good start and your halfway done.  So that's my plan for now.

My palette includes cad yellow lemon, cad yellow pale, alizarin crimson, cad red light, and ultramarine blue.  I'm limiting the colors because I want to focus on values first.  Each sketch was painted in about 2 hours on a piece of Claussen's #15 linen, taped to some foam core.

La Jolla Cove 1, 6x8", oil on linen


Eucalyptus at Painters Point 1, 6x8", oil on linen

Batiquitos Lagoon 1, 7x8", oil on linen

No comments:

Post a Comment